Friday, February 4, 2011

14 Days of Love! (day 5)

Sorry this has taken so long for me to post.    

Just a bit of background info...I wanted to post this to raise awareness, and also to let you know about a few simple ways that you can show support and love to those in need.  I also believe that teaching students to make good choices for their minds and bodies is something that I need to do more.  

I have been looking forward to this day for a while.  My co-workers knew it was coming soon, but none of them knew that today was "the day."  

Today I donated my hair to 


I was so excited, yet so nervous!  My hair is now cut in a cute little pixie!  Take a look at the before and after pics below.    

  
Before 

  
After {Don't worry-she wasn't finished trimming and stying let!}


  {Here's the finished look!}


Another great project to help students realize how fortunate and blessed they are.. . "Pennies for Patients."  It's so nice to work together to raise funds, and by the end of the 3 week collection period, the kids really do understand that "every penny counts."


This is a short "healthy heart" unit that I made.  It includes a true/false activity for students to learn a little bit about their heart, 2 ideas for class books, and an art project.  The page that has the "American Heart Association" ribbon can be used with red construction paper scraps.  Students can tear the pieces and glue them to make their own ribbon which is great for fine motor skills and strengthening those little finger muscles.



9 comments:

  1. What a great cause! My class won an Olive Garden lunch for our fundraising during Pasta for Pennies. It was especially touching since one of my student's brother is battling leukemia. We enjoy our reward next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new haircut looks fantastic! What a great cause as well. I too have a pixie cut. It is the best thing I ever did. I don't ever spend more than a few minutes on my hair.

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great new look and great cause. One of my Educational Assistants is battling Non-Hodgekins Lymphomia right now. She got a lovely hair piece made from the generous donations of people like you. Thank you.

    Mandy
    aspecialkindofclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job! One thing we do in our class instead of a traditional Valentine's Day party is adopt an animal from our local zoo. You can read about it on my blog
    http://www.teacherscannotlivebyapplesalone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke...that's AWESOME! I absolutely LOVE the new 'do! What an amazing cause :) Love it!

    Cara :)
    thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, let me say thank you for your gift or both of them! Your new haircut is absolutely precious..I'm a long time lover of short hair and you will love it! But more important, someone else is going to love the hair you gave to get through a tough time.

    On a more personal note, I am always touched by people who give so much of themselves, as my own sweet daddy lost his battle with leukemia six years ago. I have been screened, am on the donor list and just waiting for an opportunity to help someone...thank you for what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brooke, you are so cute and thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brooke, you look so GOOD! I love your "go red" unit!!!!! My sororities philanthropy is Women's Heart Health! It's a cause that's close to my heart!!!! You are so awesome!
    -Rachelle
    www.whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs
Blogging tips